Thursday, 10 November 2011

My first first.

Life is full of firsts. Some of them are obvious: first baby tooth, first word, first day at school, first love, first kiss... The list goes on and on. Then there are also the firsts that we all fail to mention in that list, but are equally important in life: first sleepover at a friend's house, first holiday without your parents, first "time" (I may write a post about that sometime in the future, it's a good story), first heartbreak, first life decision... Again, the list could go on forever.

Anyway, I'm actually referring to a different kind of first. The kind you get as a grade on a university assignment, or on your degree overall: First Class Honours. I got my first ever essay assignment back today, marked and annotated by my lecturer, and I genuinely thought they'd given me the wrong paper. Because according to the one they gave me, I got a First. I even double-checked with my seminar leader; I probably looked like a complete dick in front of all the students gathered in the office receiving their 2:1 and 2:2 papers, loudly announcing that I wasn't sure if 75% was a First or not. I felt the need to apologize to them all on my way out, and I even said sorry to my friend who was accompanying me.
I'm still in shock. I wrote this essay at 3am the night before it was due, fueled only by fizzy sweets and a burning desire to get this bastard of an assignment done and out of my life forever. If I managed to get such a high grade out of that, imagine what I could achieve if I started an essay two weeks ahead of the deadline date... Having said that, I have another essay due in two weeks, and I haven't even started. I'll just have to hope for another miracle!

I'm really intrigued by the theme of firsts (I've now written the word "first" so many times that it doesn't even look like a word to me any more), and I think I might write another post sometime soon on the subject.
If any of you follow me on Twitter, I might get a few others involved to share some stories. Look at me, talking like a professional celebrity blogger... Not quite there yet! x

Post a Comment

© Almost Amazing Grace.. Design by Fearne.