Thursday, 29 December 2011

2011, "the year that..."


I hate those people who say on New Year's Eve that they can't wait for next year, they want to "start fresh", and that the past year has been the worst of their lives. It's ridiculous how many Facebook statuses I've seen already saying: "goodbye 2011, you were shit", or "hopefully life will get better in 2012"... Surely no matter how hard a year is, it can't be without it's happy moments?

I don't want to be a hypocrite here; I admit it, I have said about a hundred times that 2011 has been the worst year of my life so far. However, after giving it a lot of thought I've realised that in amongst all the hideous heartbreaks and devastating let-downs of 2011, I somehow managed to find time to enjoy myself.

2011 was the year I broke up with my first real boyfriend, and the year he got a new girlfriend. It was the year I spent Valentine's Day wandering around town watching other couples have a perfect night together. It was the year that I got properly drunk for the very first time, and the year that I had a car accident. It was the year I had to say goodbye to everyone I knew. It was the year that I grew my hair down to my ribs, the longest it's ever been, then had it all hacked off. It was the year that I fell for a guy who had a girlfriend and the year I had my very first one-night-stand. It was the year I lost a best friend. It was the year I betrayed womenkind. It was the year I was made to feel totally and utterly worthless by just one guy and the year I had to watch a guy I really like, be with someone else. It was the year I got unbelievably homesick. It was the year I was excluded and left behind. It was the year that my heart broke for the second time. It was the year I made the biggest mistakes. It was the year I felt more alone than I've ever felt before.

2011 was also the year I performed an amazing devised piece with my Drama group, and the year I had many cups of coffee with my Drama teacher. It was the year I kissed a black guy and the year I wore high heels for the very first time. It was the year I saw Taylor Swift live. It was the year I passed my driving test and said goodbye to 6am starts and train journeys. It was the year I got my best friend back and the year I got a crush on someone for the first time in what felt like forever. It was the year I started doing Zumba. It was the year I had the best birthday party ever, and the year I turned eighteen. It was the year I went to Australia and met my baby cousin. It was the year I got into university, and the year I met some amazing new people. It was the year I attended three Halloween parties and the year I realised how lucky I am to have a good home to go back to on weekends. It was the year I drove home for Christmas. It was the year I fell in love again. It was the year I laughed a lot. It was the year I grew up all too quickly. x

Post a Comment

© Almost Amazing Grace.. Design by Fearne.