Wednesday, 4 July 2012

I will go down with this ship.

A common term in modern fandom culture is "ship". The word is tossed around all over the blogosphere, often appears in forums and inspires imaginative and graphic fan fiction. A "ship" refers to a particular pair (or sometimes trio) of characters in TV shows, whom the viewers desperately want to fall in love and be together.


It is thought that the term "ship" derives from the word relationship, and instead of being the traditional noun, people use the word as a verb; e.g. "I ship them" or "shipping this so hard". If the term were around in the 80s/90s, the earliest and most classic examples of "ships" would be Ross and Rachel of Friends, or Sam and Diane in Cheers.

Another fan-made concept is the "OTP"; an abbreviation of the phrase "One True Pairing", meaning two characters in a fictional programme that one "ships" above all others. For example, my OTP would be Nick and Jess from New Girl (don't even get me started). I ship Elliot and JD from Scrubs, CSI's Grissom and Sara, Sam and Sookie from True Blood (controversial, I know), and Luke and Lorelai from Gilmore Girls.


So, I have my fictional character ships setting sail. But what about real life? Do ships apply to people I see every day and have known both separately and together for a long time? If so, I have my shortlist of real-life couples that I not only ship, but actively root for...

I ship Mella & Carl; the best-damn-looking couple I know, together for several months now and madly in love. I love hearing one of my best friends say she's found The One, and knowing he absolutely adores her (to the point of bombing her phone with fifty texts a minute simply saying "<3"). After seeing Mella messed around by some real c-words, she deserves something this awesome.

I ship Daniella & Sean; Daniella being a Tumblr/Twitter friend and a fellow photo-editing addict and McFly & Blink-182 fangirl and Sean being her "forever". Seeing them struggle slightly a few months back (via Facebook and Twitter) was heartbreaking, but reading her lovely words about what they have together and how beautiful it is always makes me happy.

Henry & Jenn, my current OTP, are brave and resilient with their crazy love. He being a friend of mine from university and she being an international exchange from America, they met when they shared halls and are now in a long-distance relationship and promised to one another with rings. 
When they're apart, he talks and blogs about her constantly. She came back to England for him earlier this year, and he is currently visiting her in Boston. I wish them luck and happiness.


Those of you who read my blog regularly will know that gushing over these couples and cheering them on is a big deal for me; as everyone knows by now, I hate couples. However, these select few have brought me hope that romance is not dead, and two people really can find true love and happiness - even at a young age. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have my very own ship and people will root for me... In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

1 comment

  1. OH PLEASE DO say a little something about nick and jess. FROM THE VERY BEGINNING OH GOSH WHEN HIS FEET WERE ALWAYS TOWARDS HER AGHDHFFGFBZSJFKLBQJ

    ReplyDelete

© Almost Amazing Grace.. Design by Fearne.