Sunday, 17 March 2013

"Sugar's not as sweet as you."

Funny that I should write a post about crushes recently, and then experience the full force of one just a week or so later. I say 'the full force' and I mean the turbulent, exhilarating and electric feelings; the involuntary foot stamping, the fluttering butterflies and the ludicrously lurid levels of blushing; the silly words and cheesy phrases that somehow come out of our mouths, the excessive face-pulling (lip biting and tongue wagging, mostly), and the miming along to cringe-inducing songs ('baby, give me one more night')...


I'd mock this behaviour relentlessly if I weren't currently engaged in it. My foot is tapping away on the coffee table as I write, my stomach is bearing a shocking resemblance to the Changi Airport butterfly enclosure, and last night I believe I did the whole "stop it, you're making me blush!" thing, while simultaneously biting my bottom lip. I giggled when I was told the price of my drink was "this..." *single kiss on hand*, and I gushed away to one of my girlfriends about how happy and stupid I felt. Friends of friends were wishing me luck upon hearing that I was working up the courage to ask this fella out for coffee, and friends of the fella were making me earn Brownie points while chatting in the smoking area. Jack Daniels never tasted so sweet. Lipstick was constantly being re-applied. Freak-outs in the female toilets were frequent. Singing along to Blink-182's 'First Date' at the top of my lungs, and staying up until 4/5am, seemed totally justified.

I think I get it now. The 'acting silly because it's a crush' thing. I swear, I haven't felt that way since most likely high school - and of course back then love was unrequited and no crushes were reciprocated, so the feeling was almost brand new. I'm realising what I've been missing all this time, and if I'm honest, I could get used to this feeling.

Post a Comment

© Almost Amazing Grace.. Design by Fearne.