Saturday, 4 January 2014

2013, 'the year I...'


Met some heroes of mine. Moved in with my best friends. Made more bad decisions than good. Performed at the Theatre Royal, in two Shakespeare plays no less. Went on my first holiday without my family, and spent a wonderful week in Majorca with my best friend. Got a little ink. Fell in love with my body. Dyed my hair blonde, lilac, and pink. Read some life-changing books. Spent a lot of money on things I didn't need. Ate too much pizza. Left a lovely job, after debating it for a long time (I still miss it). Got a new job that I love more than I ever thought I could. Realised that I could work behind a bar, and more importantly sell multiple bottles of wine with a few subtle hints and friendly smiles. Lost weight, again. Wrote an essay about being part of a clown troupe, and the complex meaning behind it. Played, competed in, and improved at to some degree, a sport that I truly love. Was betrayed by a friend, and thought a fool. Hosted a 90's/children's TV-themed party, and dressed up as Angelica Pickles. Fell for a boy's best trickery. Went to Australia House (the Australian embassy) and renewed my Australian passport. Saw some truly terrible theatre. Saw some fantastical theatre. Lost a friend to Japan, and got her back. Watched my mother's business take off.
Spent the Easter break in Australia. Met my new baby cousin, and marveled at how my other cousin had grown. Watched my auntie get married on the beach. Got drunk with my older cousins. Shopped in Byron Bay markets. Became addicted to The Voice AU, and also developed an unhealthy obsession with Joel Madden. Sat in the stands and watched a game of Aussie Rules football, a drink in one hand and a flag in the other. Discovered the mouthwatering joys of gourmet pizza. Said goodbyes at the airport, and really felt the distance between us, across the world. 
Wrote an essay on Feminism in literature, specifically Angela Carter, and had Caitlin Moran tweet me happily to spur me on. Asked John Green to wish me luck (and he did). Became Twitter besties with Rainbow Rowell. Saw Adam Hills live, and laughed myself silly. Met Joshua Radin for a second time, in a chapel after his gig, and he recognized me. 
Spent May Day up on the cliffs and down in the old town, drinking warm white wine out of the bottle and in the company of two best friends from uni, face painted and free. Wrote a textual intervention piece - a fairy tale, centred around two lesbian princesses. Saw a load of films for free. Dressed up 1920's style many times, and loved it. Attended the PAW Awards, and won Best Show for our production of 'When It Rains Gasoline'. Won the 'Hottest Player Award' at the annual Fly Hard Ultimate awards evening - a very swanky and emotional affair, upstairs in Slug & Lettuce. Finished my second year of university. Visited my best friend, and got ridiculously smashed in the presence of his entire family at his dad's 60th birthday party - woke up on a sofa the next morning, with no idea how I got there. Was a Toni + Guy hair 'model', and realised how average they are at cutting hair. Had my auntie visit me from Australia. Was amazed by the Winchester Hat Fair. Discovered a taste and a love for nice pricey wine. Celebrated Pirate Day in Hastings, again drinking warm white wine, but this time on the beach - holding a cutlass sword with my arms and ears hanging heavy with gaudy jewellery. Had my little sister come to stay with me on her own. Turned twenty. Got naked and jumped off a bridge into a river with some other fools at 1:30am, then skinny dipped while intoxicated at a party that got out of hand. Spent too much money in the Camden Lock Markets. Went to my childhood bestie's engagement party. Made a new Northern friend. Ate a kumquat. Had an extra housemate for a while. Saw 'About Time', and decided it was my new favourite film. Saw 'Catching Fire', and decided it was my new favourite film. Saw 'Saving Mr Banks' and decided it was my definite favourite film. 
Started my third year at university. Was challenged like never before. Filled up my diary with meetings, rehearsals, coffee dates and nights out. Went on a sort-of date with a girl. Fell for a friend. Introduced my uni to the living legend that is Pugwash. Went on a super-date with someone I had a massive crush on. The crush never went away. Had the best day of my life. Became someone's girlfriend. Saw some of my writing be performed onstage. Panicked too many times about the future. Got kissed at midnight. Went backwards far too often. Hated who I was, and loved who I became. Realised that I have no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing at the end of this new year. Willed myself to see the open doors, and to have the courage to step through them. 

Post a Comment

© Almost Amazing Grace.. Design by Fearne.