Sunday, 6 August 2017

One of those 'social media detoxes'...

I took an accidental social media break, the other day. 

Well, not really. Let me explain. It was my 24th birthday, and I promise I'm not deliberately being a douchebag when I say...I was nervous about my notifications. Yes, I know, I am bloody lucky (and delighted) to have over 5K followers on Twitter, nearly 2K on Insta and over 1K friends on Facey B (I really must do a clear out on there, though. Bigots posting unfunny dog memes have no place on my news feed tbh). I gained all my followers in 100% above board ways (for some reason you hit a certain number and people start accusing you of buying people/bots?!), and I consider a lot of them friends. In fact, I've found some of my low key soul mates online in recent years.



However, I did not want to be overwhelmed with notifications and messages on my birthday. Simple as. I only checked into Facey B and Insta a few times, just to upload photos of me with coffee and/or cake – and I didn't touch Twitter. It wasn't a deliberate avoidance at first; I just thought I'd check it when I got the chance, between venues or on the train...but I didn't. And then by the evening, I had accepted that I would not be tweeting – or tweet-reading – at all that day. It felt weird, as I live on Twitter most days. But it also felt right – like a relief. And then a nice bonus was the next day, when I'd had a lot of shit abruptly thrown my way on top of the usual big birthday hangover I had to contend with – I had 100+ messages of love and good wishes to cheer me the f*ck up.

Does anyone else make resolutions on their birthday? I mean, it's like a 'new year' thing, isn't it? Well, this year I'm making the resolution to stop living and lurking on social media every hour of every day. I may construct a routine of some kind; airplane mode after 9pm, reading with my green tea in the mornings instead of refreshing Insta constantly, and be more strict with data usage – no wifi? No browsing, missy!

I also have a lot of author pals who swear by leaving their phones in the next room – or even with a partner – when they have writing to do and a deadline to work to. Well, I'm a writer with deadlines (more and more these days), so maybe I should give this a go. 

Phones and social media can be magical and miraculous, yes, but let's not forget they are also a massive distraction. I am so not justified in preaching about this, as I am perhaps the worst offender, but my goodness it's so important to put the phone away while you're walking places or talking with friends. Take things in, look at others' faces, be there. You might just find a hidden meaning in something, or be struck by the perfect inspo when you least expect it, or even meet The One...then again, you can find plenty of beautiful inspiring things on social media, and The One may just be the next swipe along on Tinder. Who knows? I'm not telling you to swear off socials, remember. I'm saying: everything in moderation. Take breaks. That's what I'm gonna do. And obviously, I'll let you readers know how this new resolution – this minor life change – works out for me. 

6 comments

  1. Love this post. My birthday I avoid it so since I was 17 I've typically went away somewhere to avoid it which in turn has meant some type of avoidance of social media as well. It's often nice having social media detox days because you end up feeling so much better afterwards. However I hope that you had a great birthday Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Hannah. A day away from social media is so therapeutic, and definitely helps you enjoy a birthday! Massive hugs xx

      Delete
  2. Wow am so excited, my boyfriend and I have been getting into little arguments which then later escalated. A lot of which are my fault but I never thought I would lose him because we are in love. He told me yesterday that he loves me but is done. That the fights keep hurting him too much. I can’t believe I hurt him like that and would love nothing more than another chance to prove to him and myself that I will cut out my insecurities that I’ve brought into this relationship. I did all i could to end this fight between us, didn’t work so i had to seek the help of a spell caster who i met online and promised to help me bring him back into my life in 2 days time. i wasn’t really sure about this, but i was really desperate that i had to do all that the spell caster asked me. it was on the second day at 5pm on Friday, i had a knock on the door and to my greatest surprise, it was my boyfriend, the first thing he said, was that he has forgiven me and he will never leave me again, Am so full of joy for what this spell caster and to this product page and graphic love spell coz it really help and work for me, i also want the world to benefit from this. if you need his help you can reach him for any thing on relationship problem, getting your ex back save and protect your marriage life with your soul mate contact him now for he is so powerful and real. Urgently email him now on happylovespell2@gmail.com for more info Visit or view on his web site at Web site:http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ Also for quick option on how to help with a love spell add him up on Whats-app +2348133873774

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow am so excited, my boyfriend and I have been getting into little arguments which then later escalated. A lot of which are my fault but I never thought I would lose him because we are in love. He told me yesterday that he loves me but is done. That the fights keep hurting him too much. I can’t believe I hurt him like that and would love nothing more than another chance to prove to him and myself that I will cut out my insecurities that I’ve brought into this relationship. I did all i could to end this fight between us, didn’t work so i had to seek the help of a spell caster who i met online and promised to help me bring him back into my life in 2 days time. i wasn’t really sure about this, but i was really desperate that i had to do all that the spell caster asked me. it was on the second day at 5pm on Friday, i had a knock on the door and to my greatest surprise, it was my boyfriend, the first thing he said, was that he has forgiven me and he will never leave me again, Am so full of joy for what this spell caster and to this product page and graphic love spell coz it really help and work for me, i also want the world to benefit from this. if you need his help you can reach him for any thing on relationship problem, getting your ex back save and protect your marriage life with your soul mate contact him now for he is so powerful and real. Urgently email him now on happylovespell2@gmail.com for more info Visit or view on his web site at Web site:http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ Also for quick option on how to help with a love spell add him up on Whats-app +2348133873774

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi guys…. Amazing love spell that work fast
    I was having a great love for the past 7 months I know him for 2 yrs he had all bad habbits but wen he got interest over me he left evrythg jus for me and just to be happy he took care of me like my mother.. I was very much blessed the problem was I had three family frd (boys) I am very close to them…. my boy didn’t like me talking to those boys he didn’t tell me tht first he was always afraid that I would leave him… so he kept his fear inside his heart and was worrying a lot.. fa 4 months now wen I came to know tht he zz hving this feari decided to stop talking with everyone, but my boy is telling me tht he lost his pure love on me.. he is telling me tht he loves me but not like before I begged him very badly… for 8 days I cried and begged him….. v both are very close…. v are mutually into evrythg even sex…. now he zz telling tht he is tired of fear and he can’t be like before frdzz what should I do? what should I do to get him back? plz tell me i found online who help me to get back with my boy again he is back to me again with his real pure love all thank to Dr happy the real spell caster who help me out when i was in pain and tear plz contact him http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ for more details email.....happylovespell2@gmail.com or add him on whats-app +2348133873774

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW I GOT MY MAN BACK
    i just want to start this way by giving a huge thanks to this man DR. UGO ANDREW for what he has just done in my life and my family . At first i thought it won,t work because many has failed me before but on a second thought i said let me just try and to my best surprise Harris my husband that said and insist he has nothing to do with me and my family again called me immediately this great man DR. UGO ANDREW of generalspelltemple@gmail.com cast a love spell on him and started begging for forgiveness. Well i love him so much and at once i accepted him back and today we are both living in pace and harmony, all the glory is to this man DR. UGO ANDREW of generalspelltemple@gmail.com DOC I THANK YOU once again for you are worthy of all the praise and thanks. forever am grateful and shall ever be to you . i also want to say if you are out there passing through any relationship issues you can contact him today and i strongly believe he will also help you out. once again you can contact him through the following way

    Email Address: generalspelltemple@gmail.com

    WhatsApp Number: +1 (518)855-8371




    HOW I GOT MY MAN BACK
    i just want to start this way by giving a huge thanks to this man DR. UGO ANDREW for what he has just done in my life and my family . At first i thought it won,t work because many has failed me before but on a second thought i said let me just try and to my best surprise Harris my husband that said and insist he has nothing to do with me and my family again called me immediately this great man DR. UGO ANDREW of generalspelltemple@gmail.com cast a love spell on him and started begging for forgiveness. Well i love him so much and at once i accepted him back and today we are both living in pace and harmony, all the glory is to this man DR. UGO ANDREW of generalspelltemple@gmail.com DOC I THANK YOU once again for you are worthy of all the praise and thanks. forever am grateful and shall ever be to you . i also want to say if you are out there passing through any relationship issues you can contact him today and i strongly believe he will also help you out. once again you can contact him through the following way

    Email Address: generalspelltemple@gmail.com

    WhatsApp Number: +1 (518)855-8371

    ReplyDelete

© Almost Amazing Grace.. Design by Fearne.